Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Vic Baron" wrote

now I'm irritated again.

Simple solution for that ... hit the "next" button.

The full line was:
Haven't watched the NYWS in a while and had some free time and tuned in -
now I'm irritated again.

I HAVE been using the next button, just not the last time!

For me, as one whose interest in furniture design has developed and
advanced beyond simply copying a plan, it is the _project_ itself,
followed by Norm's take on the joinery/method of construction of each,
that has become the focus of my interest in his shows ... not the tools he
chooses for each step.

Actually, I agree, I would just like to see him do it the "old" way. As far
as the broadcast is concerned it takes no more time than using the dedicated
whatever.

I would venture a guess that IF you own a dedicated molder then you pretty
well know how to use it. If Ihad to make that multiple curved foot he made
on the show I watched, I would have to use either the bandsaw or multiple
passes with a router. I would have preferred his technique on doing that
rather than running a chunk through a molder and voila! a curved foot.

I think that he can scare away as many new woodworkers as he attracts - at
least with this type of show.

Just MHO

IOW, the more complicated the projects that I've designed and built
_without benefit of plans_, the more I have begun to appreciate Norm's
take on the methodology of constructing the project, whether it reaffirms,
or differs from, what I have already figured out on my own as the best way
to do something.

Then there was Bruce Johnson ... proving there are some you just can't
learn a damn thing from ... unless it's how not to.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08