Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question about CNC lathes

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:04:02 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

This just for my curiosity, I'm not about to go CNC.

I assume that the lead screw is controlled independently of the spindle,
with its own motor, not through a spindle-linked gearbox. Or, is it
linked & the gear selection computer controlled?

If a separate motor, there is a huge range of speeds required: feed from
.0025 to .250 is 100:1 & that's multiplied by the spindle speed range,
say 200 to 2000 is 10:1. 1000:1 total. How do they do that?

If not a separate motor ... never mind.

Thanks,
Bob
--
Nota for President

All axes, including the spindle on most modern CNC lathes are precision
servos. This allows nearly anything to be done, including indexing the
spindle precisely and using powered tooling to do such things as cutting
flats, drilling cross holes, etc. Try looking at some of the "Swiss CNC"
porn on Youtube if you want to do some drooling.

http://www.omni-turn.com/Pages/Examp...niSamples.html

Most of these are done in a single machine run (cycle)

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,