Posted to alt.home.repair
Toffee Monday Toffee Monday is offline

Default Backyard "Platform"

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio
or
deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would be
easy
to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an outdoor
"room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at
intervals
directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with either rebar or
stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be leveled and with a
slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct the platform floor
across these boards also using 2"x6"x12' pressure-treated boards,
attaching
them with either galvanized or stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due to
winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground,
where
we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

Wayne,

It certainly sounds like a waste of energy! By your replies to other
posters, you appear to be looking for support on your idea, and not really
open to other ideas.

However, I will tell you what I would do. And, being you formally lived in
Ohio, what many in Ohio do.

Either have the concrete placed now....... OR
Construct a permanent deck. Build it level, with no pitch. Say for
instance, your proposed room would be a 10x12. I would build the deck as a
16x 20 (just an example). Positioning the deck, so it would be offset, not
centered to the proposed room. This would leave me a deck on 2 sides of my
room, after the room was built. It would be enough room to set your grill,
a couple of chairs etc, on the outside of the room. Treated CDX Ply or
similar could be used for the inside of the room once the room is built, or
the layout could call for the CDX to be installed to room size, then the
room built on it. Your initial layout would be critical so you don't build
your deck to high initially.

Those aluminum/glass rooms can be built to any size. Either way, wood or
concrete base, I would definitely have a much larger base for my grill etc.
Otherwise, it certainly will look silly with a grill sitting in the sand.