Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Moffett[_2_] Ken Moffett[_2_] is offline

Default Harbor freight crane jack leaking

Ignoramus16322 wrote in
:

On 2008-08-18, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:35:00 -0500, with neither quill nor
qualm, Ignoramus16322
quickly quoth:

snip

Larry, I think that you are mostly right. The problem is
that when the boom is raised high, the wire rope hangs on
the bottom lengthwise slot in the boom, beneath the roller,
instead of being suspended from that roller.

I took the boom to my mill and lengthened the slot by an
inch, which will hopefully enable the winch to work even
when the boom is fully raised.

If so, then, I will be able to use the winch at those
elevations.

snip

Iggy,

I just purchased the same Harbor Freight crane for our
Biology Department's pontoon boat, and ran into the same
problem with the cable rubbing on the slot's lower end at
high arm elevations. I can't figure out their concept in the
cable switch-back on the rollers...cable over the far side on
the top roller and the near side of the bottom. ??? It looks
like whoever designed it, never actually saw it in use. Or,
more likely, someone in manufacturing misread the print and
drilled the top hole in the wrong location...over and over,
and over again.

So, as opposed to your solution, I elongated the hole under
the top roller, in the direction of end of the arm, about
another 3/4". This allowed me to ran the cable on the far
side of both rollers. Now the length of the slot under the
bottom roller makes sense, and I can get full elevation
without interfering with the cable.

I have pictures, if this isn't clear.

Ken