Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default -google_groups- Range gas igniter foolishness

Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:09 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
KLS wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:06:56 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:
We have a gas range that has worked flawlessly for many a year.
Now, on one side, when the front burner is activated, the electronic
spark igniter for the BACK burner comes to life! When the back
burner is activated, the back burner acts normally. The front burner
doesn't spark at all (full disclosu I haven't tried to light the
front burner by turning on the oven).
I had a similar problem earlier this year with our gas range. I'd had
a boilover on the stove, and the liquid clogged up the tiny hole in
the burner that the gas goes through to be ignited. Just lift off
your problematic burner (if this is a sealed burner, there's probably
a lid, and then the burner itself) and look for a pinhole. Take a
safety pin and ream it out. That ought to do it.

Thanks for the pointer.

You're suggesting, then, that when either knob is turned to "light" that
BOTH the front and back igniters fire?

Weird. Oh well, I'll check.

Thanks again.

Typically, all ignitors fire when you turn any of the knobs to "light"
and only the one with gas going to it lights. This is standard
operation.

JK

You have described every gas range with electronic ignition I have ever
seen and I don't believe they manufacture them any other way. There is
one igniter module for the burners and the switches on each knob are
connected in parallel and there is another igniter for the oven/broiler.