Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default DTV converter boxes - good, bad, ugly?

N8N wrote:
So the converter boxes have been out for a while now... do any of
them stand above the rest of the field? I don't think I'm ready to
start purchasing new TVs yet, nor am I getting very far with wiring my
whole house for cable, so I might as well go ahead and get my coupons.

nate

Andy writes:

I have tried a number of them, and can offer the following advice.

1) Try the remote for the "feel".... I like a nice, crisp, tactile
feedback
and fine the mushy feel of the Motorola unit to be objectionable.

2) Check the operation of the "program guide". Some models only
show what is playing now, and others will allow the user to scale
ahead for several hours, much like the DISHNETWORK system....

3) Analog passthru will only be useful for the next 6 months and
after
that there will be no more analog. While it is an annoyance now,
the DTV box will be needed as long as your analog TV lasts, which
could be another 20 years, so I don't , personally, see this as
deal breaker, especially considering the other features we will
be
using for the life of the unit.

4) If you are going to use the unit in a vehicle , boat, or RV, you
need
to get a model that can also be used on 12Volts. There is only
one
that I'm aware of. I think it's the TIVAX STB-T9, but I may be
mis-remembering. You can google "12 Volt DTV Converter" and
you'll probly be able to verify that.

5) After you make your choice, consider buying over the internet.
The costs, including shipping, are about the same as the
in-store costs , and you have a much wider variety to choose
from.

Just some advice from one who has been there and done that.
Good luck,

Andy in Eureka, Texas