Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Corian, Silestone, Granite, LG or Plywood???? :O/

Art wrote:
The article you linked isn't exactly from an objective source.

It is from the Dept. of Geology and Environmental Science of the University
of Akron. I would consider them to be objective. The individual professor
who made the study seems well qualified.

dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Art wrote:
Radon from granite is a potentially serious problem if you happen to
get the bad slab.

The worst case granite type in the tests to which I linked emitted
7% of the radon level that would cause concern. The next two worst
cases emitted 1% of that level. Emission of all others was
"negligible". dadiOH
___________

"dadiOH" wrote in message
.. .
infiniteMPG wrote:
We're pretty winding down on our new cabinets and we're seriously
seeking our best countertop choices (no, plywood is the temporary
choice until the real stuff arrives). We've heard stories of heat
affecting Corian and LG and things like if you cut on the
countertop itself it will scor or mark like a plastic cutting
board. We've also heard stories of everything from emisions of
radon gas from granite and the need to seal and care for the
surface. We have seen granite at places like Lowe's that is
supposedly sealed for 15 years now, too. We've heard good and
bad about Silestone but then today someone said it's just Home
Depot's branding of granite. We'd like to get to the truth of the
matter but I'd rather throw
it out to the knowledgable public (i.e. alt.home.repair) then
from some vendor or distributor. What's the truth about these
materials???? Also, we like the molded in sinks that come with Corian
and LG but
heard that if they get damaged from dropping something in them,
then you have to replace the whole counter top and can't just
replace the sink. We don't really like the stainless sinks
sitting under a granite countertop as there is a slight mating
'crap trap' between the sink and the countertop and although we
know this is sealed, there is still the mating recess between
them. Doesn't seem to be something I'd want.

So what's the truth?????????

Man made materials - Corian, Silestone, "Quartz", et al - are made
by embedding minerals in plastic. How soft and/or durable they are
depends on what *kind* of plastic mostly and which minerals
secondly. And on the ratio of plastic to minerals. Regardless,
none of the plastics will resist a steel knife. Nor high heat.
However, they are resilient and should resist damage from things
dropping on them. Natural stones can be formed either in a similar
manner to the above
or by the interlocking of the crystals of the minerals of which the
rock is composed. Most limestone and sandstone are examples of the
former, granite an example of the latter. Again, their hardness
and durability depends upon the characteristics of the minerals
comprising them...limestone is soft, sandstone is hard (assuming it
is comprised of quartz sand). Their permeability depends upon how
tightly the grains are hooked together and the types of minerals. A few
natural rocks - talc, for example - have virtually no
permeability. BTW, "granite" has a fairly narrow definition
petrologically. Most
of the "granite" sold for counter tops should more accurately be
referred to as "granitic". As far as radon from such goes, I would
worry far more about being zapped by a death ray from aliens
somewhere in Andromeda than I would about radon emissions from a
granite counter top.
http://www.marble-institute.com/indu...-akron2008.pdf

Which to choose? Up to you. Personally, I think all of them -
particularly the man made ones - are way over priced so I like
tile. Sink-wise, I wouldn't want a Corian type sink...too easy to stain
and scratch. IMO, you can't beat cast iron covered with porcelain.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...