Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY Vacuum Actuator?

"Chet" fired this volley in
et:

Lloyd,

Thank you for the additional info! It's appreciated!

Would you mind if I posted your info on another website,
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

I also asked for help on their Live Steam forum, but without getting

successful design like yours.

Needless to say, you'll get full credit for the design and info...
(Think you'd want to modify your original drawing to show the

reversed
rod and vacuum input? If not, I'll post it as it is with the
suggested changes.)

Chet

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in

message
. 3.70...
"Chet" fired this volley in
et:

I knocked together a quickie version of the modifications

suggested
for Lloyd's sock-type actuator.

BTW, Chet,

The sock-type actuator doesn't have any force advantage over a
diaphram type. The advantage is its essentially unlimited length

of
stroke.

Unlike a diaphram type, the throw of which usually cannot be more
than an inch or so in practical versions, you could make a sock-

type
actuator with a two or three foot stroke just as easily as one with

1" stroke.

That can help your avoiding cludging up stroke-amplifying (and

force
dividing) bell-cranks and other such devices to get the stroke of

the
cylinder to match the throw of your throttle linkage.

LLoyd

Since it's embarrasing to miss that simple a problem -- YES, I'd like
to re-do the drawing first... G

LLoyd