Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chet Chet is offline

Default DIY Vacuum Actuator?

Lloyd,

Thank you for the additional info! It's appreciated!

Would you mind if I posted your info on another website,
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

I also asked for help on their Live Steam forum, but without getting a
successful design like yours.

Needless to say, you'll get full credit for the design and info... (Think
you'd want to modify your original drawing to show the reversed rod and
vacuum input? If not, I'll post it as it is with the suggested changes.)

Chet

. 3.70...
"Chet" fired this volley in
et:

I knocked together a quickie version of the modifications suggested
for Lloyd's sock-type actuator.

BTW, Chet,

The sock-type actuator doesn't have any force advantage over a
diaphram type. The advantage is its essentially unlimited length of
stroke.

Unlike a diaphram type, the throw of which usually cannot be more than
an inch or so in practical versions, you could make a sock-type
actuator with a two or three foot stroke just as easily as one with a
1" stroke.

That can help your avoiding cludging up stroke-amplifying (and force
dividing) bell-cranks and other such devices to get the stroke of the
cylinder to match the throw of your throttle linkage.

LLoyd