Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default DTV converter boxes - good, bad, ugly?

N8N wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:02 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
N8N wrote:
So the converter boxes have been out for a while now... do any of
them stand above the rest of the field? I don't think I'm ready to
start purchasing new TVs yet, nor am I getting very far with wiring my
whole house for cable, so I might as well go ahead and get my coupons.
nate

Hi,
New LCD panels use less power compared to old CRT ones.

I'm sure they do, but for all the TV I watch it is definitely not
worth it. Was looking at new TVs today and even a "cheap" one is
$400. Ain't happenin' when I have several perfectly good old ones.
Yeah, it'd be nice to watch TV in HD but just to listen to the news/
weather while I get dressed in the AM? And my 53" projector in the
basement is fine when there's something I actually want to watch on.
No, it's not HD either, but for $200 off craigslist it beats the heck
out of a couple kilobucks. I am sure I could save more money by
insulating the upstairs.

nate

Yup,
When projector lamp goes it's not xheap either. LCD panel has back
lighting lamp as well. By the time you saved enough there'll be better
panels out. Currently 1080P Plasma or 1080P 120Hz LCD panel and organic
LED TV are at the top. All pricy.