Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Red-neck lathe v2.0

"Jon" wrote in message
An option to buyalathe is cobble together a facsimilie from surplus.

The surplus houses I've been to have mechanical components, or specif
purpose machines that have been retired.
We've bought lots of little machines for the components.

Sometimes you can get a huge pile of stuff for around $100us

also, scrounge your local scrap dealer for compnents.

For example, a front-wheel-drive auto spindle/bearing assembly is not far
removed from a lathe spindle.

Early metal turning was done on what were essentially wood lathes, with
similar turning tools.

Wood lathes are cheep, and/or easy to build.

I am slowly acquiring a pile of stuff. Right now the closest I am getting is
the old drill press. I am wondering if simply mounting it on its side and
improvising some sort of tailstock in the place of the base might be a good
idea...