Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ignator ignator is offline

Default Any refrigeration experts out there?

On Aug 28, 3:14 am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
In article ,
says...

Bruce,
No, it is cold storage capacity by volume, as Jon alluded to (HOS) and there
have been several very successful solutions developed recently for the
transport of human organs from donor to recipient, which work much better
than the conventional fluids like brine and ethylene glycol. These mediums
require the -40 temperature to freeze.
Steve

Can you expand on this a bit as my understanding of eutectic systems has
always been that you "freeze", or at least get slushy, a medium
contained in the plates. The temperature at which the medium "freezes"
is controlled in part to match the capacity of the compressor. The
volume/mass and initial temperature of the plates then keeps the
interior of the fridge below a desired temperature for a period of time
depending on the mass of the plate/medium and insulation value of the
container (ignoring the number of times you open the door for the
moment).

I'm not arguing but trying to correct my understanding if it is not
correct.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

It is the phase change i.e. latent heat of fusion (freezing) that is
where the energy is stored in the the cold plate. The working fluid
needs to have a very large latent heat, BTU/lb.mass, and not have a
strange shape change that destroys the container. I have no idea what
that fluid is in cold plates. Water alone has 144 BTU/lb. latent
heat, just how much better can you get by adding salts or glycol? It
must change phase to store and retrieve this energy.
ignator