Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Test of Center Drilling vs. Spot Drilling.

Time for a survey. How many of the group's money players
routinely skip the spot/center drill step with today's rigid CNC
machines?

When "the kid" was laid off we took lathe jobs for money. 1000s of parts and
less than $2 a part. We went to stub length drill no spot or center drill
and went right to size. The Hardinge CHNC held less than .001 diameter
tolerance as long as we re-sharpened the drill every 500 or so parts. Had to
use a Darex M5 grinder for resharpening.

Karl