Posted to alt.home.repair
retired53 retired53 is offline

Default In-ground swimming pool question

"John Keiser" wrote in message
Weigh is proportionate to diameter. 36 inches is probably 500 pounds.

I've changed my sand once in 30+ years and even then the grains felt
sharp. So probably not necessary. I'd guess you'd notice inefficient
filtering eventutally but the "5 year" rules seems vastly over-rated.

After 30 years, my Tahitian developed a leaky valve. No parts available.
If yours is of that vintage, I question availabliity of valve parts or
laterals [these are just plastic tubes with slits that snap to screw into
the main pipe.]
I bought a used Hayward on Craigslist for $50 because parts are available.
Changed the spider gasket and good to go. Replacement laterals available.

Good luck.

Mine's a Baker Hydro. Parts are still available.

Filtering is still excellent so I guess:"don't fix it if it ain't broken".

I've looked at some of the valve gaskets and they are in bad shape so that's
what I'm going to do. I have two extra valves because of the spa.

Good idea to look on craigslist for replacement parts. I wouldn't have
thought of it.