Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default really old phone lines

In article ,
(Larry W) wrote:

I would rather have Verizon install a box, and rewire the
house with modern cabling myself. Perhaps one day Verizon
will install the demarc and I can go ahead with that plan

Feel free to do whatever wiring you like, WHEN you like.

Just because there is no "official" SNI/D doesn't mean you can't do your
own wiring. You simply begin your wiring at the point where the telco
drop wire terminates - usually on a protector block.

With the simple installation of a RJ11 block and short line cord, you
can build your own "interface" just immediately beyond the telco's
protector.

If I were to completely rewire a home, I would place a dedicated "home
run" to each outlet (as opposed to the "series" type of wiring) and
terminate each cable to a point that is walk-up accessible on a utility
room wall. From that location you simply run ONE cable to the demarc.
Fumbling around in the joists, along with the darkness and spider webs,
is a PITA.
--

JR