Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Converting a miter saw into a disc sander

"goodfella" wrote in message
I have a mitre saw that I don;t use for sawing anymore. I loaned it
out, and didn't get it back in very good shape. I have since replaced
it. I would like to know if I could replace the saw blad and put
sanding disc on it and use it for sanding; just like one of those
combination disc and belt sanders. The motor still runs good and all
I want to sand is balsa.

1. Do you really want to listen to that thing run during a sanding session?
Darn near all of them are too noisy when simply running for a few seconds.

2. I wonder if the bearings would last taking a load 90 degrees to the
direction that they were designed to take a load and were they or the motor
designed to be run non stop for several minutes at a time.

3. I'd strongly suggest a $150 dedicated 12" disk sander, very QUIET by
comparison.