Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_6_] Bruce in Bangkok[_6_] is offline

Default Any refrigeration experts out there?

In article ,
says...
Bruce,
No, it is cold storage capacity by volume, as Jon alluded to (HOS) and there
have been several very successful solutions developed recently for the
transport of human organs from donor to recipient, which work much better
than the conventional fluids like brine and ethylene glycol. These mediums
require the -40 temperature to freeze.
Steve

Can you expand on this a bit as my understanding of eutectic systems has
always been that you "freeze", or at least get slushy, a medium
contained in the plates. The temperature at which the medium "freezes"
is controlled in part to match the capacity of the compressor. The
volume/mass and initial temperature of the plates then keeps the
interior of the fridge below a desired temperature for a period of time
depending on the mass of the plate/medium and insulation value of the
container (ignoring the number of times you open the door for the
moment).

I'm not arguing but trying to correct my understanding if it is not
correct.

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
That is really good info....... thank you. I think you are correct about
keeping the systems separate. Combining them will create far too much
complexity. I have made the same observation of cold plate performance
that
you have, but I think that is because of the use of brine as the storage
medium for a freezer applications. Its state change is far too warm to be
efficient. There are far better solutions for cold storage capacity,
hence,
the -40 degree requirement.
Steve

I have the idea that I heard somewhere that the preferred liquid for the
cold plates was a mixture of ethylene glycol rather then "brine". I
believe that the reason is that by mixing water and E.G. you can control
the freezing point which is pretty much what you are trying to do.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

--