Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default tax question: switching over from hobby to business?

Ignoramus17245 wrote:

They may frown upon shenanigans such as paying oneself rent etc, and
having no income or SS paying salary. I am all for saving on taxes,
etc, but not at the cost of being flagged for an audit, or worse. A
good accountant would tell Grant what ratios to follow, etc.

An accountant will make sure HIS ass is covered first. If he
can save the customer some money, that's great, but not his
first priority. Few if any accountants will tell you this.

There are thousands upon thousands of loopholes and
deductions in the tax code. There is nothing wrong with
taking advantage of them. I advocate nothing illegal. You
seem to have an attitude that taking advantage of legal
loopholes is wrong. That's part of how people with money
accumulate and keep it. I'm not advocating trying to juggle
things to show no profit. Unearned income is not subject to
SSI. Nothing illegal or shady there. Us little guys have
just as much right to take advantage of the loopholes as the
big guys.

I asked my tax guy once if the IRS gives anyone credit for
failing to take full advantage of any and all legal
loopholes and deductions. His rely was "No, they just think
you're stupid if you don't" And, they are very happy to
accept the extra money.

Jon