Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A "living constitution" and serious " change" was Obama

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:15:09 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

But the left will get their nanny state, however it will be more of a
police state. All of our rights will be abridged, left right and
other. Surviving "progressives" are likely to find themselves fondly
recalling the days of the Bu****ler Karl Rove Neo-con Theocracy, when
they were merely considered "amusing", and not threats to
civilization. And that is if it goes "well". I seriously do not want
to be trying to recover after that economic downturn.

crud. I was suppose to be in bed an hour ago.

pyotr

I wonder if Leo and his brothers and sisters on the far left, have
ever read Unintended Consequences, by John Ross?

Evidently not.

They really should.

They should read history. The Weimar Republic was denounced by
various liberals as being too oppressive. So it was replaced by a
really repressive regime - the Third Empire. Interesting, the French
number their Republics, the German's their Empires. Speaking of the
French, it is also interesting to note that Gilbert du Motier (Marquis
de Lafayette (who renounced his title _before_ the revolution) found
himself forced to flee France as a dangerous reactionary, and when he
arrived in Leige, was promptly arrested by the Austrians as a
'dangerous revolutionary.' (His is a story of getting what one didn't
bargain for.)
After the Tsar's abdication, lots of people thought provisional
Government under Kerensky was bad for Russia, then the Bolsheviks
provided the Russian people a _real_ excuse to drink.
Then we can look at Prohibition. A good intention - to curb
alcoholism in the US. Instead, it made binge drinking acceptable, not
to mention funneling large amounts of cash into the hands of the
smugglers. Arnold R... can't remember his last name. was approached
to back a small venture to smuggle a boat load of hooch in. He came
back with a counter proposal to do it 'wholesale', for a percentage.
The rest is, as they say "history." Al Capone, Eliot Ness, Meyer
Lansky, NFA 1934, Vegas, Havana, the Kaufman hearings, and Robert
Kennedy getting a little legal experience going after mobsters in the
sixties. Not to mention the war on some drugs, yada, yada, yada.

I get real worried when people start saying "Somebody ought to do
something." Because Somebody(tm) will, and it probably won't be what
people really wanted, or even thought they wanted.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Most of the intelligentsia haven't studied history, so much