Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default really old phone lines

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:16:22 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

[snip]

When a premise visit is made, and no SNI/D is present, one is SUPPOSED
to be installed, at no extra charge to the customer, at that time.

SUPPOSED to. They (Verizon) didn't when I got a second line in 1999.

BTW, the installer also claimed I had poison ivy. I didn't.
--
Mark Lloyd

...snipped...

My experience is with Verizon also. In my area Bell Atlantic preceeded
Verizon and Chesapeake and Potomac Tel. Co. preceeded Bell Atlantic.
Many of the homes in my neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood I
lived in about 12 years ago, never had demarc boxes installed.

The previous owner of my home had 2 lines. There are 2 cables that come
directly from a utility pole, attach to the side of the house with standoffs,
go down to the sill plate and enter the basement at the gap between the
siding and the sill plate. They continue about 10 feet into the basement
where each cable is connected to a separate junction block. The same
large-gauge, exterior wire connects one of these blocks to a third
block located about 25 feet away in another part of the basement. Each
block has several cables connected to it for the different extension
locations. Some of these cables are so old that they are cotton-covered.
A few rooms still have the old 4 prong phone jacks.

I have had a few problems with our phone wiring over the years. I have
_ASKED_ Verizon to PLEASE install a demarc box on several occasions but the
service techs just won't do it, instead they come into the house and "fix"
the immediate problem. We have never been billed for these "fixes." I
would rather have Verizon install a box, and rewire the house with
modern cabling myself. Perhaps one day Verizon will install the demarc
and I can go ahead with that plan