Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Thelwell Andrew Thelwell is offline

Default primer, undercoat, primer & undercoat

On Aug 27, 3:59*pm, Peter Johnson
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:14:27 GMT, Stephen

wrote:

Is combined "primer and undercoat" as good as separate primer and
undercoat? Surely one obvious advantage of using separate tins is that
you get two coats?

Paint manufacture is changing to comply with EU requirements but it
used to be that most undercoat was oil based and took time to dry.
Primer is water based and dries quickly. Pimer/undercoat is water
based and is usually used by contractors working on new timber -
starting in the morning, it is dry enough for the gloss to go on the
same day.

Is there a big difference between primer and undercoat? I've just put
primer on bare wood and found I had no undercoat so I put a second
coat of primer on and it looks good to me. Have I done something
wrong? Should I have gone to buy undercoat?

If you are using white or a light colour for the gloss you should be
OK. For some colours the colour of the undercoat has an effect on the
final colour of the gloss.

I've used combined primer and undercoat (B&Q stuff) on both bare wood
and over old gloss and always found it to be spot on.

Always been painting in light colours (white usually) so can't comment
on the colour thing.