Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Scott Dan Scott is offline

Default Well pump is leaking; what to do?

Dan Scott had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...do-323142-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
Harry K wrote:

On Aug 3, 9:13=A0am, dpb wrote:
Wade Lippman wrote:

... it might be cost effective to just let it run
until the pump
dies and then have a plumber fix everything at once,
rather than
coming out twice.
fix the leak
Why be an asshole? =A0If people have problems, that is that
last thing
they need.

Well, if one has such a visible problem, what else is there to say
other
than it needs fixing?

If you can't fix it yourself, call in the well service folk who
can.

It's quite possible the pump if not abused in such a fashion might
go
for years yet; it might fail tomorrow even w/o the leak but it
certainly
will much sooner than later if leave it go as is.

It's impossible to tell what is actually going on from the
information
you have provided -- my wac (that's conjecture rather than guess)
would
be either the elbow or the top coupling has cracked at the ell
where the
discharge pipe leaves the casing. =A0It'll certainly be far easier
and
cheaper to fix while it's still attached (and you have water)
rather
than waiting until it breaks entirely and you're fishing for the
remnants and the pump as it goes to the bottom of the hole which
is
anybody's guess as to how much below the set distance is--20-ft
wouldn't
be unusual, perhaps even further).

--

I agree that it is the pitless adapter that is leaking. Not a simple
fix as the entire down pipe and puimp have to be pulled up to above

I don't get the Square D electrical box inside the casing though. Any
pump controlling equipment/wiring should be co-located with the
pressure tank. Most that would be in a normal well would be a
junction box and I haven't even seen one of those inside a well
casing...of course this is an old installation so who knows.

Harry K

Im having the same problem but my situation is a little different. My pipe
in the yard has no box and there is no visible leak, but I can hear water
running in the pipe where the pump is located. Can I dig that up and
replace what is leaking or is that something a pro well guy has to do?