Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Plans or pictures of a Stock Cart

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Upscale" wrote:

I don't buy plans anymore. I can look at something or perhaps get a
little
advice and then draw my own plans if needed and then build it.

Think that is known as being a mooch in my prt of the world.

Nothing wrong with "mooching" ideas to use in your own designs,
despite recent efforts to the contrary in the software industry.

Trying to use design plans the the designer clearly offers for sale
build a single unit without paying for them is very simply the theft
of intellectual property.

OK, so when in your opinion is it legitimate to draw your own plans
for a duplicate of a piece of furniture you have seen? Is Norm
stealing when he does this? How do you draw the line between theft
and inspiration?

You state you are a tech writer.

What is your position if someone were to plagurize your work, then
sell it without compensating you?

Who said anything about "selling"? Google "fair use doctrine". In
any case it's queationable whether examining a picture of a piece of
furniture and then drawing a similar design is copyright
violation--Plycraft made imitation Eames chairs for decades that
incorporated all the distinctive features of the Eames except a
different shaped armrest and Herman Miller was never successful in
shutting down this activity.

Certainly if someone is selling unauthorized copies of Norm's plans
that's bad, but that's not what was being proposed.

But, since
you appear to have an excess of money and don't mind throwing you
money
around without consideration, then feel free to buy some plans for
the OP.

Interesting observation; however will consider it for what it is IBS
(Intellectual BULL ****).

And it's not a matter of being a serious cost component. The choice
being
available, I prefer to spend my money on important stuff like the
alcohol I
buy every week which is considerably costlier then some simple
plans.

That seems obvious.

Lew

--John