Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Black Ant Problem

On Aug 26, 8:38 am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
Check out Talstar One.
http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/Home/...starOneMultiIn...
icide/tabid/1221/Default.aspx
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...brands?tbl=bra...
id=19022035

Thanks, but unless I'm misreading this, I can't purchase this product
unless I'm a professional.

You can buy it on ebay, probably, depending on your state law. You
can get a Birchmeier backpack sprayer there, too. Bifenthrin is not a
USDA or EPA restricted use pesticide. It's marketed primarily for
termites, but it's a broad spectrum (kills a lot of things) multi-use
(interior/exterior/turf & ornamental insecticide.

You might get it, or something like it at your local greenhouse.

We've had professionals for 2 years.

Eh. "Professional" often means "gets paid" in the pest control
business.

If
treatment is ongoing, I have to find a way to do it myself.

I am imagining a very large ant population, although you only
described the "problem" as "significant". The two don't necessarily
go hand in hand...

Anyway... controlling... rather "eliminating"... a significant ant
population outdoors is going to be a multi-application job, unless you
were to use a tree sprayer.

(One of the benefits of having your trees sprayed (by a real
professional) is the overspray, so you might want to think about
that.)

I have heard and read good reports regarding interior treatment ant
"baiting" (the junk they take back to the nest, etc.) but I remain
skeptical. Just because you don't see ants doesn't mean they aren't
there, but I hear the callback rate is low.

In about half the interior instances IME the homeowner had a
significant problem before they noticed the first ant.
-----

- gpsman