Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Circuit breaker panel cabinet knock-outs.

Anthony Diodati wrote:
"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:28:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
My circuit breaker panel cabinet has 2 existing, already-installed
breakers with nothing attached. I would like to use one as a
dedicated line for a spare refrigerator in the basement. All of the
existing bx-cables exit the cabinet from the top, and _every_
existing panel knock-out on the top of the cabinet is occupied. There
are knock-outs on the side of the cabinet, but I'm wondering,
is there some rule or code that prohibits exiting from the side?

Not that I've even heard of. I'm not an electrician but I think the
mnfgr made side-knockouts for you (and me) to use as necessary.
That's not to say that, if there are 3k little municipalities in the
US, a handful won't have some funny rules.

Sounds like some kind soul anticipated need of new circuits and
outfitted 'em. 15 amp?

I doubt your avg. spare fridge requires a dedicated circuit, but
if you put one on an existing circuit, ya gotta know the max
amperages load.

I thought a refrigerator was supossed to be on it's own dedicated
circuit? Tony

I don't know if it's REQUIRED, but, if possible, it sounds like a good idea.
If something else that shares the circuit with the fridge goes a little
funny in the head (diswasher, toaster, etc.), you lose hundreds of bucks
worth of food.