Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Cleaning an oven

"Anthony Diodati" mrbreezeet1NO wrote in message
I have an electric stone/oven and want to use some oven cleaner, easy off
or the like, but I think the oven must be hot?
How can I heat the oven, then remove the element if it is hot.
It is the bottom of the oven that needs attention.
Or don't the oven have to be hot?
Thanks, Tony

Be sure to read the instructions for the stove/oven first. The last thing
you want to use on a "self-cleaning" or "continuous cleaning" oven, is an
Easy Off type of oven cleaner. Self cleaning heats the oven up to near 900
degrees and literally incinerates the built up grease on the oven walls and
Continuous Clean types have a rough looking surface rather than smooth
porcelain and clean "somewhat" by catalytic action at temps over 400 degrees
and only works somewhat on greases and not on starches such as over run
fruit pies.
On standard porcelain ovens, spray the Easy Off (according to instructions
on can) on cold oven surface. Lift oven element up to spray under and avoid
as much as possible getting any on the element. Element kind of hinges at
the back and will lift up in front.

Tom G.