Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Black Ant Problem

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Paul
wrote:

On Aug 26, 2:45*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 02:50:20 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

wrote:
According to what I read about using the water/sugar/boric acid solution,
it's supposed to be taken back to the nest to feed the queen. *In theory it
should work.

Boric Acid dissolves the exoskeleton when the critter walks on it.
They don't eat it, but simply walk across the powder. Soon they
evaporate, so to speak. They may carry the acid into the nest and
other ants die as a result.

Make a sweet spot and have them walk over the acid. Mom called it a
Cupcake.

Mix a small amount of water into dry bori acid. Keep this water at a
minimum. The idea is make a thick paste.

Use a bottle cap and fill it with paste.

A small drip of stawberry preserves on top. Sprinkle around the
preserves with dry boric acid.

They can't resist the sweets :-)

But carpenter ants dont eat sweets. Your method is probably good for
the tiny ants.

I'm just glad we don't have Leafcutter ants.