Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Wiki: Pattress

In uk.d-i-y, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:59:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

For your perusal...

A '''pattress''' is

Possibly not a word. At least my Concise OED doesn't have it (the
online OED is subscription) niether do a couple of other online
dictionaries. There is a wikipedia entry but that is wikipedia, pass
the salt, thank you.

However I have used the word, so it does "exist" but I use it to mean
a multiple outlet flex mounted trailing socket. What this article
describes I would call a "back box".

If you search the TLC Direct site for 'pattress' you get a list of surface
mounted boxes in various finishes, but no plasterboard or metal boxes. Dry
lining/plasterboard & metal are referred to as simply 'boxes' and respond to
the search for 'back box' or 'box'.

That corresponds to my usage and the usage of people that I deal with
here in Cheshire. Surface fittings have pattresses. Flush fittings have
back boxes. It's a simple and useful distinction.

--
Mike Barnes