Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Tile Color

Steve wrote:
Hello,
I had to change the shower tray and hence the contractor had to remove
the tiles above the shower tray.

I got the tiles from Lowe's. When the work is completed, I see a
slight difference in the color of the tiles. Now, I am not sure what
to do. At least I should have got some contrasting tiles but I think
its too late for that. The contractor is asking $1000 for redoing the
tiles from top to bottom. I am not sure what to do. Any advice is
really appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

Does the new tray and the repaired wall leak? No? Then forget about it.
Keep the shower door/curtain closed when company is coming over. $1000
seems awful steep for a retile job in a shower, unless he has to do the
whole bath over to match.

Seriously, odds are nobody will notice unless you point it out, and if
they do, so what? Houses have to be repaired from time to time, and you
can't always get an exact match. If, when you sell, a buyer makes an
issue over it, knock a couple hundred off the price. Otherwise, just
live with it until it is time to do a gut job on the bathroom anyway.

(note that this is a good example of why, when building or remodeling,
you should always keep any partial leftover boxes of tile or whatever
stashed in a corner of the basement. They don't take up much room, and
20 years from now, you or the next owner may be real happy to have them.)

--
aem sends...