Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 220 house pump on two (2) SEPARATE breakers??

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:55:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Dear Readers,
I’ve a 220 water pump for the house that, when I trace back to the
main circuit breaker box, is connected to two (2) individual 15Amp
breakers located immediately adjacent to each other (one on top of the
other). I confirmed that tripping any single one will still leave a
live 110 feed to the pump. This is obviously not safe and I suspect I
need to either: connect the two breaker throws together (if such an
add-on connector exists), or purchase a double wide breaker with two
poles (if such a breaker exists). Do either of these "solutions"
exist?

All advice appreciated.
Thanks.
-Theodore

Where I used to live, I had a similar situation. Those breakers had
holes through the handles and I installed a bolt between them, then
verified that tripping one would turn the other off too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."