Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas water heater capacity

On Aug 25, 8:14*am, Bubba wrote:

There is another do it your self group that frequently has questions
and complaints about them but it also criticises and decries our North
American practice of having a hot water storage tank either heated,
electrically, by gas or from a heating furnace.

230 x 25 amps = 5750 watts. And they only use electricity while water
is being used.

And that is going to supply hot water in sufficient quantity to do
exactly what? * *He's got one tank type now that supplies his entire
house. * With typical incoming water temps in winter in most parts of
the US, 5750watts isn't going to supply enough hot water for even a
decent shower.

Which is why you rarely, if ever, see an electric tankless used as a
whole house solution.

I guess you dont get out much trader.

And I guess you failed simple math. * The poster claimed:

"230 x 25 amps = 5750 watts. And they only use electricity while water
"
is being used."

To which I stated that 5750 watts isn't going to supply enough hot
water for even a decent shower. * From your own link, it takes 100
AMPS to get a 73 degree temp rise at 2.25 gallons a minute. * At 50
AMPS, the lowest AMP heater in the chart, you get a whopping 36 degree
temp rise at 2.25 gallons a minute. * *So, with incoming water of even
50 deg, you wind up with 86 deg heated water.

Do the math anyway you want, and as I stated, at 25 amps, you aren't
going to run a shower, much less an entire house, which was what the
OP was trying to do. *The electric tankless, by the spec sheet you
provided, are only claimed to be practical for the southern US with
80AMPS. * For the rest of the US they need 100 to 150 amps.

Now, how many homes have an extra 100 to 150 amps available for a
water heater? * And would you advocate using an electric tankless to
heat water when the OP has natural gas available, which in virtually
all cases is going to be cheaper?

Just because manufacturers make them, don't mean they are popular.
Maybe I overstated the case by saying you rarely, if ever, see them
used. * Let me restate it by saying in the vast majority of cases they
are impractical compared to other readily available solutions. *And
here in NJ, I've seen lots of new homes recently. *A few had tankless,
but every one of them was nat gas tankless. *I did not see a single
electric tankless.

Nice math you did there. So impressive. And YES, you did overstate
your case like all you EE's do all the time. I didnt care what
electric he has in his home.

Sure, just ignore the math and that the typical service is 100-200
amps and that in most of the US, to have any reasonable output from an
electric whole house on demand water heater is in excess of 100 AMPS.
So what if the OP has to get a new higher amp service from the street,
a new panel, pay for that installation cost, it doesn't come out of
YOUR pocket, right?

YOU said (and I quote)

**Which is why you rarely, if ever, see an electric tankless used as a
whole house solution. ***

Obviously you live in a trailer or under a rock. The electric is
becoming more and more popular. Its very apparent. When natural gas is
cost is going through the roof with no end in site. Our area alone
will go up 50% this winter in natural gas cost.
Once again, you were WRONG! Say it trader, "You were wrong". You guys
have such a hard time with that phrase.
Bubba

OK, I'd like to put it to a vote. Simple questions:

1 - How many people reading this newsgroup have an ELECTRIC WHOLE
HOUSE WATER HEATER?

2 - How many believe they are a practical. cost effective solution for
a whole house water heater in most single family homes in the US?