Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tanner-'op Tanner-'op is offline

Default Wiki: Pattress

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tanner-'op wrote:
I was told to call surface mounted boxes for sockets/light switches
etc "patress boxes" by electricians from the time I started my
apprenticeship as a chippie way back in 1964 - and every electrician
and electrical supplier in my neck of the country has called them
that - and are still doing so.

Which would be fine for a regional FAQ. But unfortunately it's
national and in other areas it's not used.

Dave,

Before retiring, I worked in several parts of the country over several
years - and on each job, a patress was... yes, a patress - which meant a
surface mounted switch/socket box (and that was understood by the local
tradesmen as well as us 'outsiders'. That seems pretty "national" to me.

As for the standard of the "Wiki" write-up on that subject (and many others)
I will pass no comment.

Tanner-'op