Posted to rec.woodworking
Virgle Virgle is offline

Default American Chestnut

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 7:54 pm, "Jon" wrote:
There is a small grove of American Chestnut trees still growing out by
Jim
Thorpe, PA. Location is too hard to get to as it is up a small rocky
area
to where they are located. My great aunt's property borders the area.

Jon

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Haven't read the book yet, but I intend to.
http://www.americanscientist.org/boo...blighted-hopes

Seventy years ago my home was in the South Western part of Virginia. The
were plenty of dead chesnut trees standing. Most of the trees were tall and
slender without any bark. We cut them for firewood. Most were 40 to 50 feet
tall. Once we started them sliding down the mountain they would go like a
rocket all the way to the bottom of the mountain. You could split them with
an ax from end to end.

Virgle