Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum Radiant Heat barier

On Aug 24, 4:10 pm, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper wrote:
I've been trying to design my buildings up north so I don't totally
freeze and ran into a lot of aluminum mylar. I'm having trouble
understanding how, what I hear of light speed radiation is going to go
through plywood and reflect back any kind of substantial energy. Or
through concrete. Can anyone explain how radiant barriers are
effective on buildings or maybe suggest another group to ask? Or
should I just keep it for solar experiments?

I'm also lost on how I can design a system to feed the wood stove,
without opening a window to -20 degrees. I'm thinking of having a vent
to the attic to draw from.

The effectiveness of radiant barriers greatly depends on the direction
of the heat flow. They work well for heat flow down, but not very
well for heat flow sideways and not well for heat flow up.

Some wood stoves have a way to use outside air for combustion. Most
houses are not sealed so well that one has to open a window when
using them.

Dan