Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Aluminum Radiant Heat barier

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:10:03 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

I've been trying to design my buildings up north so I don't totally
freeze and ran into a lot of aluminum mylar. I'm having trouble
understanding how, what I hear of light speed radiation is going to go
through plywood and reflect back any kind of substantial energy. Or
through concrete. Can anyone explain how radiant barriers are
effective on buildings or maybe suggest another group to ask? Or
should I just keep it for solar experiments?

I'm also lost on how I can design a system to feed the wood stove,
without opening a window to -20 degrees. I'm thinking of having a vent
to the attic to draw from.

it is a property of aluminium that it reflects 97% of incident
infrared radiation. aluminium sheet make a great infrared reflector.

one of the best insulators is polystyrene foam.