Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Getting rid of a piano.

geoff wrote:
In message , Kevin
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to
us for jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano
smashing competitions - to see which team could post the piano
through a 1foot square hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a
sledge hammer. The piano wire was a pest.
Smashing a piano can be quite dangerous without making it
safe first (releasing the tension on the strings). There's
around 25 tons force across the frame, and you don't want
that to let go in one bang by breaking the frame.
Even individual wires breaking can cause nasty injuries.

I broke one up as a teenager and there might be 25 tons of force but
it was not that dramatic when hit with a sedge hammer, 25 tons of
force with elastic bungy rope might be a different kettle of fish, and
after watching mythbusters snapping 1/4 steel wire even that was not
that dangerous

exactly

but it might be as well to loosen the strings first

all 200 of them ?

not counted them, that's was just my get out of jail free card :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works