Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Getting rid of a piano.

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"John" writes:

When I was in the Scouts many years ago we used to get them given to us for
jumble sales - inevitably they didn't sell so we had piano smashing
competitions - to see which team could post the piano through a 1foot square
hole (IIRC). The frames would break with a sledge hammer. The piano wire was
a pest.

Smashing a piano can be quite dangerous without making it
safe first (releasing the tension on the strings). There's
around 25 tons force across the frame, and you don't want
that to let go in one bang by breaking the frame.

The reality of the situation is that you just end up with a mass of cast
iron and wire when you smash it up. I've "dismantled" several and the
actual elastic distention of the strings is so small that the world as
we know it doesn't end when you crack it

The only injury I ever sustained was when I put a (1/2" dia) coach screw
right through my foot because I was wearing flip flops instead of proper
foot protection (naughty boy!)

Even individual wires breaking can cause nasty injuries.

They don't (on the whole)

Is anything you posted above from actual first hand experience ?

--
geoff