Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Pattress

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tanner-'op wrote:
I was told to call surface mounted boxes for sockets/light switches
etc "patress boxes" by electricians from the time I started my
apprenticeship as a chippie way back in 1964 - and every electrician
and electrical supplier in my neck of the country has called them
that - and are still doing so.

Which would be fine for a regional FAQ. But unfortunately it's
national and in other areas it's not used.

Perhaps we should use the terms in the Screwfix catalouge/web site? They
are national and seem to be becoming the modern day 'Bucks Book' if anyone
remembers that?

Yonks ago I was in the tool trade & customers would call asking for all
sorts of stuff. If there was any doubt they would refer to page so and so
in the Bucks Book. Everybody seemed to have one, even if they never bought
from Buck & Hickman.

We use the SF site like that here.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman