Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:24:54 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:49:33 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I
lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass
topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.

The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater...
I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead
of making a special trip.

In separate years, I've taken two home on the trunk and lowered top of
my LeBaron.

The Sears ones don't claim to be glass lined, and they only have a
translucent whitish vinyl liner. So it's not going to break, but
that's not any more likely on the side versus the bottom.

I've also carried on separate occasions two spinet pianos on the
lowered top and trunk when I had a full size convertible. I put a
double bed mattress on the trunk and I go very slow, 5 or 10 mph where
there are chuckholes.

It should be fine on the side. I think they are just trying to protect
the top (pipe stub outs).

Some readers here might remember that my WH top was caved in a half
inch or more, and one of the pipes was no longer exactly vertical, but
I installed it anyhow last winter and so far so good.

Especially since there is a vinyl liner and no glass liner, I don't
expect any shortening of the WH life.