Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wiki: Pattress

wrote:

Yes, lets just be practical about it. Lots of diyers, tradespeople and
sellers call them pattresses, so pattress is a valid name for them.
Ditto backboxes, ditto wiring accessory boxes.

I most commonly come across the term pattress used only for surface
mounting boxes.

I could very easily be mistaken on this, but I thought the use of
'pattress' for moden backboxes was the result of the continuing to use
the word for the bit that goes behind a socket, even though today the
box shape of it is different to the old flat plates. Hence 'pattess'
describes 3 different things today - backboxes, the older little
wooden plates, and big structural loadpsreading plates - but for the
most part, electrical accessory backboxes.

I expect there is a regional variation, but its certainly not the most
commonly used of the terms.

I dont think any one particular term as an article heading is going to
be a winner, as none are in universal use, and all are terms in
widepsread use.

Agreed - something generic for the article title would hence be best.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |