Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wiki: Pattress

wrote:
On Aug 24, 3:51 pm, John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
A '''pattress''' is the box that sits behind electrical sockets and
As others already said, that's the wrong word. I think "back box"
is the most commonly used term, for both surface and flush fitting.

"Electrical accessory mounting boxes" might be simplest, with back box,
pattress, dry lining box etc defined within and perhaps as redirects to
the article.

Yes, lets just be practical about it. Lots of diyers, tradespeople and
sellers call them pattresses, so pattress is a valid name for them.
Ditto backboxes, ditto wiring accessory boxes.

I could very easily be mistaken on this, but I thought the use of
'pattress' for moden backboxes was the result of the continuing to use
the word for the bit that goes behind a socket, even though today the
box shape of it is different to the old flat plates. Hence 'pattess'
describes 3 different things today - backboxes, the older little
wooden plates, and big structural loadpsreading plates - but for the
most part, electrical accessory backboxes.

I dont think any one particular term as an article heading is going to
be a winner, as none are in universal use, and all are terms in
widepsread use.

PS if anyone can supply a pic of an architrave pattress and 3 & 4 way
boxes, please do.

NT

--
Cheers,