Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tanner-'op Tanner-'op is offline

Default Wiki: Pattress

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:57:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"Electrical accessory mounting boxes" might be simplest, with back
box, pattress, dry lining box etc defined within and perhaps as
redirects to the article.

Yes, lets just be practical about it.

True but I think pattress is not widely understood or particularly
clear.

Lots of diyers, tradespeople and sellers call them pattresses, so
pattress is a valid name for them.

I've never heard the word used in that way. B-)

Dave,

I was told to call surface mounted boxes for sockets/light switches etc
"patress boxes" by electricians from the time I started my apprenticeship as
a chippie way back in 1964 - and every electrician and electrical supplier
in my neck of the country has called them that - and are still doing so.

Tanner-'op