Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Gas water heater capacity

"dpb" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Probably. I just checked and we have a 40G gas unit. House of 3. We do
have to time our showers/tub baths a bit but it is not hard. The
dishwasher has to be accomodated for as well. Nominally need about 20
mins between bath/shower/dishwasher uses.

40G is plenty for one person. Ok for 3 with a little timing.

Something definitely out of whack if a 40 g doesn't cut it for only three.
Raised four kids and wouldn't be able to think of time it was an issue...

Yes, and you are right. It's an older unit and was not maintained at *all*
by the renters. I am pretty sure we are getting about 50% efficency out if
it.

I dont expect anyone to really 'track' all any of our posts to add things up
so I'll add I'm the one who was in Japan almost 7 years with house rented.
I am pretty sure this unit was replaced while we were gone, about 6 years
ago? I bet it has a coil problem of some sort.

We have to unpack the last of the boxes in the garage before we can just
drain it and see what's up. Having only just repaired the 'sunroom' we have
not yet repopulated all the stuff stored in the garage so this isnt an
option to just drain it.

It is very possible the unit is about 7 years old now with zero maintenance.
With regular maintenance, they nominally last 15 years. Not sure what you
can expect with none at all though?

It is not impossible to think we might be getting about the efficency of a
20G unit just now? I only can see it is a 40G and a long shower (over 10
mins) means a reheat time of about 20.