Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default How to get HOA participation

We do reserve studies. That is a study required by law where a certified
person comes in and takes stock of all the lawn, asphalt, sidewalks, curbs,
landscape, etc, etc, etc. We then project out thirty years and assign an
upkeep or replacement cost on everything. Those figures are then divided by
the number of owners, the current balance deducted, and that's what your
dues are for the next XX years.

In doing so, we have met every type of association. Some who were $300k in
advance, some who were $300k in the red. The most interesting part are the
personalities of these people. First of all, anyone who would buy in a HOA
needs to see a shrink, IMHO. Secondly, many people don't see the CC&R's
until after they sign. Many people don't even read them then.

For people who become involved in their HOA's, there are two. One type is
realistic, and lets the numbers speak for themselves. The other one is the
type who think the dues should never change, and assessments are
conspiracies cooked up at a water cooler somewhere. There is a third elite
class who somehow migrate into positions of being "landscape colored rock
inspector" and "grass height inspector" and a thousand other inspectors
common to HOAs.

In a rare few, the attitude was that they loved their community, all
participated, all paid their fair share, didn't waste a lot on any item, and
didn't have much discord. Those comprise about 1% of the total. You can't
get participation. It's there or it isn't. If it isn't, a core of Nazis
float to the top of the cesspool and take over with their citation books and
assessments and hastily called meetings. Or second scenario is that no one
takes over, and director is a director du jour who takes the job with good
intentions, and bails as soon as they find out what's going on. It is,
after all, a thankless low paying position.

HOA's suck big time.

Steve