Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Pattress

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:59:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

For your perusal...

A '''pattress''' is

Possibly not a word. At least my Concise OED doesn't have it (the online
OED is subscription) niether do a couple of other online dictionaries.
There is a wikipedia entry but that is wikipedia, pass the salt, thank
you.

However I have used the word, so it does "exist" but I use it to mean a
multiple outlet flex mounted trailing socket. What this article describes
I would call a "back box".

If you google pattress in the UK you get about 30,000 hits, some refering
to wall tie plates (the large metal plates used to spread the load on a
wall when ties are threaded through the building to stop it falling down).

--
Cheers
Dave.