Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Running wire in finished ceiling on main floor

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:35:30 -0700 (PDT), Mash
wrote:

We have a large family/living room area and I want to put two ceiling
fans in this area. So the fans will be on the same floor about 25 feet
apart or so.

I'm not at all saying these things will make it possible, but there
are 6 foot flexible shaft drill bits. I don't know if there are
longer. They even have a selection of long bits at home depot. They
have a hole at both ends through which can be attached a wire. When
you pull out the drill the wire comes with it, and you can use that
wire to pull the bigger wire through. That's great for going from a
hole in the wall down to the basement, but maybe won't help elsewhere.

Will the 25 foot run likely be empty of obstructions? Do they use
use firestops in ceilings like in walls? I don't know but some people
do.

They also make L shaped tools, 10 inches by 10 that are used to help
to control the drill bit inside the wall or ceiling from outside.

Guys who run telephone lines know how to use two snakes, one in the
ceiling and one in the wall, hook one with the other. I've even done
this myself with burglar alarm wire, one snake down the hole in the
sliding galss door channel and another throug the ceiling of my
basement (no firestops encountered), but that was thin flexible wire,
not romex or bx.

Is there any way it would be legal for this guy to run two or three
insulated 12 or 14 gauge wires, as required. They would be flexible
enough to be pulled through a corner. But I doubt it's legal.

Make a hole in the wall right below the ceiling, to reach in and up a
bit to grab the romex and pull it out, then send it down the wall to
the basement, then patch the wall and not the ceiling.

I don't know if any of these ideas will help.

I haven't read the whole thread but the idea of going in from the
floor above doesn't seem bad.

I don't like ceiling fans.

I installed ceiling fixtures in two bedrooms but had no desire for a
fan and still don't.

I just use use table fans.