Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default New tile smells like rotten fish

Richard Evans wrote in
:

"SteveBell" wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:

I had some work done on a small foyer (6' x 8') that included
replacing worn vinyl flooring with vinyl tiles. The old flooring was
laid over particle board with glue, so left a rough surface when
scraped up. The new tiles were self-stick, but the old surface was
too rough, so the contractor used mastic over the self-stick
adhesive. When he was done, the foyer stunk of rotten fish. Honest
to god, it smells like bad sardines. I brought it to his attention,
but he blew it off as if it were nothing unusual and I was just
complaining about the smells of paint and turpentine. I've been
doing, or having done, home repairs for over forty years, and
believe me when i say I have never smelled anything remotely like
this.

It's been three days with a fan circulating air through the foyer,
but it still stinks. I'm beginning to suspect one of the workmen
left a tuna sandwich in the air duct as a prank

Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I don't know what product he used, but some of them are pungent. Also,
things smell different to different people--my wife complains bitterly
about things that don't bother me or I can't smell at all. If the
contractor didn't think there was a problem, then there probably
isn't, (as long as he's honest). You might simply be sensitive to a
chemical that other people can't smell.

If so, my wife has the same sensitivity. Maybe I'll have a couple of
the neighbors come over for a sniff test.

I wouldn't be bringing up about rotten fish smell around women there
Richard!