RancidPants

Default Honeywell ST1000

Hi all
First post - although I have been reading for a while.

I moved into my new house 3 months ago. I have a Honeywell ST1000
programmer which is just like this one (the brand name is different):

I haven't used the central heating/hot water timer until now. I have
just moved the switches onto 'Constant' as and when required. This
works fine.

Recently I wanted to time the heating / water to come on in the
morning but I've noticed that the clock mechanism doesn't work. Does
this mean it's knackered? The switches work okay, and as I rotate the
dial by hand, the heating / water comes on and off as the dial passes
the pegs. I would have thought that if the unit is connected
correctly, then the clock would be working at all times.

If the controller is bust, I could obviously get the one I've
mentioned above from Screwfix. But I think it would be a good idea to
put a modern digital one in. I don't want one with a built in
thermostat because the controller is in the airing cupboard. Am I
right in thinking they are pretty much universal? My heating system is
(I think) fully pumped, having just two water pipes coming from the
boiler, one pump in the airing cupboard, two automatic valves of some
sort, one three way and one two way, all connected up to a Heatrae
Sadia Megaflow (mains pressure hot water tank).

Sorry to sound like such a novice (I am by the way). Thanks for any
help.

Luke