Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default GFCI question

On Aug 23, 8:32*am, "Bill" wrote:
The GFI is probably working just fine and doing its job. These detect when
there is a short to ground. Electric motors have all sorts of exposed wires
inside and dust can get in there and cause a little short to ground.

Try blowing out the fan motor with compressed air or having the motor
serviced.

wrote in message
Hello Group.

I have a problem with a GFCI tripping every time I turn on my shop
fan. *This line has a 40" shop fan (on a wall switch) and three
outlets. *I can use the outlets fine, but when I turn on the fan, it
runs for about ten seconds and then it trips the GFCI. *It was wired
by a licensed electrician and worked fine for ten years. *What is the
best way to figure out what's bad, the fan motor, the GFCI, or maybe
the breaker? *Any advice?

Thanks.

unklerichie- Hide quoted text -

Blowing out a motor with compressed air is a quick way to be buying
it's replacement.

Soft paint brush and a vacuum , and yes you sometimes have to open the
thing up.