Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:37:24 +0100, endymion wrote:

I think you need to look around for a better deal. Our Equipower E7 is
4.27 and 13.18 (+ 5% VAT) and no Tier 1 or 2 rubbish or standing charge
either.

But I dont have that option. Equpower do not supply to my area.

The figures you quote in another message match Equipowers E7 tarrif for
the SW region. Ebico do supply the SW and see Mr Hansens post...

I have checked. I have the lowest charges I can more or less get
without having to go to paperless billing. I dont nthink that the
difference ( about 50 odd quid a year according to estimates) makes
enough difference to loose access to the suppliers phone helpline. I
have found that invaluable recently.

AFAIAA you don't loose access to the suppliers helpline. I recently spent
a merry afternoon on the phone to Southern, Scottish & Southern and Ebico
trying to work out why the rates that Ebico sent at the last price change
were not the ones on my bills and the DD discount had effectively gone.

There are no others cheaper. Scottishpoer and British gas are listed as
having six different rates each! But there is no one else cheaper. The
others have standing charges hiking thigs up.

There are very few tarrifs that have truely have "no standing charge",
Ebico is one of those but the unit price is slightly above the cheapest
but no where near some prices. Those tarrifs marketed as "no standing
charge" almost invariable have a dual rate system where you pay a premium
for the first X units. When you do the maths this premium equals the same
tarrif with the daily standing charge option.

I did notice the other week that there are a few tarrifs where the Tier 2
and normal rates between "no standing charge" and "standing charge" were
different but not by much, 0.2p or so.

Scottish Power I also use online, paperless, direct debit etc. I'm very
happy with their service and prices. As of a few days ago they have yet to
put up their prices (along with nPower) so getting a fixed rate until 20??
deal now might be quite beneficial... E.On and Scottish and Southern
recently have gone for price hikes of 15 to 20% on lecky.

This power supply market is like everything else, if you live in the
right place you can get it cheaper ( or get it at all). Where I live I
have to pay for the privledge.

If you are in the old SWEB region they are not the cheapest region but I
don't think there are any restrictions on who you can use for supplier
down there. I noticed the other day that many suppliers no longer offer
online switching, you have to write or ring 'em up. This is sometimes not
very clear on the switching sites, those sites make their money from
online switching so tend to not push those that can't be switched on line.

Its the same with getting a storage heater. I have had to send via the
internet to a place in the SE of England for the best price. Not only
that, I cant even find a supplier near me so I couldnt fetch one if I
wanted.

There wouldn't be a supllier within a 50 mile round trip for me, if then,
more likely to be 100 miles. Fetching one would be £20 to £40 in the car
fully costed. Delivery charges are rarely more than the cost of me going
to get something.

--
Cheers
Dave.